Google Tag Manager Integration
Appcues offers a handful of one-click integrations to your favorite services. Let's dig in to how to use Appcues' Google Tag Manager (GTM) integration.
Note: This document covers how Appcues sends data to GTM via the dataLayer API. Use of this feature does not require that you install Appcues via GTM. We have separate instructions on how to install Appcues using Google Tag Manager.
Details about this integration:
- One-way browser integration—Appcues sends data to Google Tag Manager in the browser
- A Google Tag Manager account.
Activating the integration
You can activate this integration by going to the Appcues Integrations page and clicking "Activate" under Google Tag Manager.
What does it look like?
Appcues events will automatically be sent to Google Tag Manager when someone interacts with your Appcues flows. Google has a great example of how you could use this to trigger other tags, events and more within the Google Tag Manager interface.
Appcues sends the following data to the GTM dataLayer:
- event — A description of the action taken by the user (e.g. "Flow Skipped (Appcues)"). See our list of analytics events for more information.
- appcues_event_id — A shortened, machine-friendly version of the event (e.g. "flow_skipped").
- appcues_flow_id — The ID of the flow the user interacted with.
- appcues_flow_name — The name of the flow the user interacted with.