Testing Flows (On Staging)
Before publishing flows for your end-users to see, you'll want to first give them a run-through yourself. To test out your flows on a staging or pre-production environment, follow the steps below.
Ready to test on production? Head over here for our best practices on testing flows on a live site.
Testing your flows on a staging or pre-production environment
- We always recommend installing the Appcues embed script on your staging or pre-production site so you can test flows without needing to publish on production.
To test flows out on staging without showing them to your devs or other teammates, target your flow to Just Me* or to your specific login. To do this:
1) Expand the Choose who sees this based on user properties box.
2) Select Just Me*. If you'd prefer to be the sole viewer of your flow, choose a unique-to-you property (such as email or name) and set it accordingly*Note: You'll need to be logged in to Appcues to use Just Me targeting. This targeting will look for your Appcues ID, so anyone on your team who is logged in to both Appcues and your platform will be able to view these flows.
- Specify the domain where you'd like your flow to appear. Expand the 'Choose which environment(s) this appears on' section and manually select your chosen domain(s).
- We recommend setting any flows you are testing to show every time. Flows set to show once can only be viewed one time per user, even when unpublished and republished.
To set your flow to show every time, expand the Choose how many times users see this box and select Show on every visit to matching pages.
- Publish your flow and you'll be set to view it on staging!
- Alternatively, you can view published flows via our permalinks. Once, you click 'Publish' a 'Share' button will appear. There you will find the unique URL associated with the walkthrough. You can access and test the flows as many times as you'd like via this link. Here's more on our peramlinks.