User Targeting (Settings) Overview
Curating and targeting your flows to the right users at the right place and time will take make your flows significantly more impactful on your end user behavior.
For example, many platforms offer a free trial with the expectation that successful trialers and good-fit users will upgrade to a paid account. Displaying an "Upgrade Now" modal every time any user logged might prove ineffective and invasive, but an "Upgrade Now" modal targeted to week-old users who have interacted with your platform (maybe by inviting a colleague or adding a contacts list), can drive that action with your now-experienced users.
Every flow has its own Settings page that will allow you to define where you want your flow to display, its audience, and what happens upon its completion.
This section refers to where your flow will appear. Here, you can choose to target users based on the following criteria.
"Which page should we show this flow on?"
- Any page: will display your flow at any URL within your platform (where Appcues is installed)
- At a specific path: will display your flow at one or multiple specific URLs.
- You can learn more about URL targeting here
"On which Environments'
- Any domains where my Appcues embed script is installed: will show flows on any domains you've enabled Appcues -- you may have installed Appcues on multiple domains, like a beta, staging, and a production environment, and selecting this option will show flows across all these domains
- Only the domains I choose: allows you to specify which domain(s) you would like your flow to appear on
- Learn more about domain targeting here.
"And how often?"
- Show once: will show your flow once to the users you've selected and will not relaunch the flow to the same user, even if you've unpublished, edited, and republished the flow
- If you'd like to republish this flow to show once for all users (including the ones that have seen your older or last-published version of this flow), you can make a clone that will look identical to the flow without having any user history
- The only instances where flows may reappear if they are set to show once are:
- You have created a tooltip or hotspot flow that is multiple steps: if a user does not complete all steps or skip the flow, the remaining (unseen) tooltips/hotspots will launch the next time they visit your targeted URL
- When you are targeting anonymous users: anonymous users cannot be differentiated, so if the same person views your site in a new anonymous session, we cannot identify them as already having seen your flow
- If a user is viewing your flow via a permalink: these links override any targeting settings and launch a specific flow any time they are clicked
- Show on every visit to matching page: will launch your flow every time your user meets the criteria to view your flow (determined by your other display or audience settings)
- We recommend using this option while testing your flows on the 'Just Me' setting (see 'Audience' section below).
The audience section refers to the users that will see your flow. Targeting options you have here are:
"Who should see this flow?"
- All users: will show this flow to any users in your platform
- Users with specific properties: allows you to narrow your audience down by general properties like "Device Type" or mores specific a combination of "Plan Type," "Created at Date," "User Role" -- it all depends on what properties you send it! Learn more about choosing a specific flow audience here
- Just me (useful for testing) will show your flows to you or your colleagues based on your Appcues ID
- You'll need to be logged in to Appcues to use Just Me targeting: this targeting will look for your Appcues ID, so anyone on your team who is logged in to both Appcues and your platform will be able to view these flows
- Split my users into two groups will divide your entire user base into groups 1 and 2. Learn more about our built-in A/B testing here
Recall (in-app widget targeting) *Beta*
- Show this flow in our in-app widget will display your flow for users to relaunch: this is a beta feature that must be enabled in your account to appear
"What should we do when this Flow has completed?"
- Redirect to a different page: will redirect your users to a separate URL, either in or outside of your app
- To redirect to a separate domain, enter the entire URL (starting with http[s]://)
- To redirect within the same environment, enter the address after the domain (ex: if the flow is set to my.appcues.com and you'd like to redirect to the profile page, instead of my.appcues.com/profile, you can enter /profile)
- Trigger Appcues content: will launch a separate Appcues flow: this is how to link flows together
- Any flows you link must all be published live in order to be seen together
- If the flow you are triggering is set to appear on a different page, you can use Redirect to a different page and Trigger Appcues content together