How to Debug Your Installation
If you cannot view a flow live on your site or want to make sure you've installed Appcues correctly, a good way to start troubleshooting is by using our debugger. The debugger can help you verify:
- If Appcues is installed on the page you're viewing
- If Appcues is tracking page changes
- If user properties are being correctly identified (and if so, what those properties are)
- Errors that prevent a flow from loading
To start debugging, either add
?hey_appcues to the end of your URL or call
Last Tracked URL
As you navigate through your app, the debugger will watch for URL changes and show whether Appcues has checked each one. If the URL changes without Appcues being re-initialized, it will show the last URL that was checked.
If you navigate throughout your app or refresh your page and a red X next to "Last Tracked URL" persists, Appcues is not tracking page changes. In this case you may have to call
Appcues.start() . Select your platform type here to learn how you can install this call.
Tip: To debug your
Appcues.start() call for single page apps, publish something using "Just Me" targeting and see if the flow shows automatically. If you need to refresh the page in order for Appcues to appear, that indicates it's in the wrong place.
You can see if the user has been identified during the current visit and how many attributes were passed in that call. If they have been identified, clicking on the attribute count will show a table with the latest identified values for each property.
A red X next to "User Identification" means that we cannot recognize user properties on your page. If this is the case, you'll need to add either the
Appcues.anonymous() or both calls to your installation. Learn more about the Appcues.identify() call here. If you have Appcues installed via Segment, you'll want to make sure Segment's
analytics.identify() call is being called on this page so Appcues can recognize your individual users. Learn more about Segment's identify call here.
When you reach a URL where Appcues is installed and don't see a flow that you think you should be seeing, this section of the debugger can help to rule out targeting issues with your flow. Flows that you qualify for a this page (based on audience targeting) will show in the flow lineup. If you think you should be seeing a flow on this list and you aren't, double check the flow's audience targeting in the 'Flow Settings' for the flow in question. *Keep in mind that, if you've viewed the flow before in the live environment and it's set to 'Show Once' in the flow settings, you will not see it in the flow lineup.
If the flow you'd like to see is here, you can be confident that the targeting is correct. If you see a red X next to "Flow Lineup" this means the targeting was correct but the flow cannot display for some reason:
- For modals or slideouts, this is typically a result of malformed HTML. Double check that any custom HTML you've added to this flow does not contain any errors.
- For tooltips or hotspots, this usually is reflective that some or all steps cannot find the elements they are attached to with their CSS selector. You can change the selector that tooltips or hotspots are attached to either by repositioning your tooltip or entering in a new selector. Learn more about picking the right selector here.
A yellow X next to "Flow Lineup" means that no flow is set to show at this page.
If you're still having issues debugging your installation, email support and we can help track down the issue.