Have a new feature to announce? Use Appcues to show new and existing users how it works to increase adoption.
As with creating any flow, it's helpful to take a sympathetic stance with your users. You may be excited to show and tell them all about your new feature(s), but information is best received and used with the right time and place in mind.
Consider the following:
- How does this feature benefit my users?
- Where is the best place to announce this feature?
- How much guidance will my users need to adopt this feature?
- Do any of these answers vary by user type?
We received great feedback from our users that they wanted better control over organizing their dashboards and keeping related flows together. Our team got to work and built drag and drop functionality for the categories that sit in your Appcues dashboard. Once it went live, we were ready to share the news.
Format for Feature Announcement:
1. Add an image or gif: Although drag and drop functionality is straightforward and widely used, we knew that for existing users this feature would be a slight adjustment. To avoid over-explaining the feature or bombarding users and making them actually drag and drop their flows, we did it ourselves and recorded and shared a gif to orient our users on how to adopt this feature in their own time.
2. Explain the value: We clearly explained how this feature benefits our users. Instead of stating "You drag and drop your flows into different categories," we contextualized the feature to let existing users know that they could now keep their content organized for better visibility.
3. Targeting URL: Knowing that this feature made the most impact in our users' dashboards, we targeted the dashboard URL as the best place to announce this feature.
4. Targeting users: Finally, we considered which user types would benefit from this feature announcement. While we built this feature with everyone in mind, it made the most sense to target the modal to customers who had been with us for some time prior to this launch. Some feedback that inspired this change came from newer users who had assumed they could drag and drop flows and were writing in to let us know we didn't meet that expectation. With that in mind, we held off on showing this flow to new users who (a) would likely find this feature early on in their own use and (b) were already going through other onboarding flows.
Format for Indiegogo:
1. Large image that grabs a user's attention. The image foreshadows the tool tips the user about to experience.
2. Introduction to feature.
3. More information about feature.
Format for AdRoll:
1. Add your value
2. Encourage engagement.
3. Add an image.
4. Create a custom button that brings them right to the new feature, potentially leading to an Appcues walkthrough. You could hyperlink this button with an Appcues permalink.
5. Use the Appcues button as an exit option.
Format for HubSpot:
1. Chose a Sidebar modal that takes up the whole left side of the screen.
2. Use an attention-grabbing title that also adds value.
3. Image of new feature.
4. Information about new feature.
5. Button will redirect user to Appcues walkthrough. Click here to learn more about building content across multiple pages.
As with any campaign, creating relevant and concise feature announcements can take some time and thought but will be appreciated by users as they receive helpful content in the right circumstance. For more inspiration, check out this article on onboarding existing users or take a look at our user onboarding academy.