Creating your first flow is easy with Appcues. Lets go through how to do so using our Editor.
To start creating your flow, you'll first have to open the Appcues editor. If you don't see the Appcues icon in your Chrome extensions, download it here. Once it's installed, there are two ways to access it:
- Click on the Create button in the top right corner of the dashboard
- Enter the website you want to start building your flow on and select Next
From your browser
- Navigate to the specific URL where you'd like your flow to appear
- Click on the red Appcues icon in your Chrome extension list
Navigate to flow location
You'll now see the editor loading at the bottom of the screen. Once its done you'll select 'Create New' to select the pattern you'd like to use to start your flow. Your flow can span multiple pages in a domain, and contain a handful of steps. However, we've found that the shorter the flow (3-5 steps max) the better the completion rates, which is always good.
- Navigate to the page where you'd like to build flow. The URL where you first build your flow can be different from the URL where the flow will eventually show. We'll modify the settings for the live flow a little later.
- Click Create New in the editor on the bottom right of the page, then select whether you want to start with one of our use case-based templates, or build something from scratch.
- If you've selected a template, you can preview what it looks like. If you're happy with your choice, hit "Make This" to make it real.
- Name your budding creation, and select a category for easier organization on the my.appcues dashboard.
- We start you off with some categories, but you can easily modify them later from the dashboard
You may want to start out with some text, an image or even a video. If you find you need more help with the design you can check out one of the below guides:
While building its often helpful (and fun) to preview your flow. To do so, you'll select the eye icon in the lower right hand side of the page to preview the current step group (of 1 or more like elements) or the entire flow.
Note: You can preview on any website, but this doesn't mean Appcues is successfully installed at that URL. But previewing will give you an idea of how it would look if installed and showing the flow live
Edit flow settings
Once you've finished your first masterpiece you may want to define which users will see this flow when it published to the environment where you've installed. To modify the settings, click on the Target & Publish button in the editor (see red icon in the image above). This will take you to the flow settings page. Here, you can control the URL(s) where you'd like the flow to show live, how often it shows and to which segment of your customer base it shows to.
If you already know who you'd like to target, but aren't clear on how to do it, you can learn all there is to know about targeting your flows here.
Look good? Awesome! Double check the flow settings to make sure your flow is targeted properly then...
Hit Publish and you're live!
You can always reach out to us at support@appcues if you have further questions on the above =)