Installing with Segment
Submit Article Requests
Do you have a suggestion for an article you would like to see created?
Feel free to submit this form and add your suggestions to our document board.
- Installation & Developers
- Web Experiences
- Mobile Experiences
- Account Management
- Best Practices
- System Status
This document is focused on installing Appcues in web applications using Segment, for information on installing Appcues in mobile applications using Segment see the Installing the Mobile SDK doc!
Appcues integrates with Segment's analytics.js client-side script.
Important: Segment must be actively installed on every page you would like your Appcues flows to appear, i.e., the analytics.identify() call must be called on every page load for the integration to work correctly. This means any user properties passed to Segment through the identify() call will also be passed to Appcues and will cause Appcues to show content that's targeted to that user (if they qualify).
The first thing you'll need to do is enable the Segment-Appcues integration (additional information about this setup is available in the Segment Appcues Destination documentation):
- Find the Segment "source" for your application and select it.
- Click the Add Destination button.
- Search for "Appcues" and select it from the list of destinations. Click "Configure Appcues."
- Enter your Appcues ID and Legacy API Key. You can find the account ID on your Account page and your Legacy API Key on the API Keys page (Also called the API Key on the account settings page for legacy plan customers).
That's it! Now Appcues is installed through Segment. Appcues will be set up anywhere your Segment script is installed.
- In Segment-speak, the Appcues integration "assumes page load". What this means is that if analytics.page() isn't called, Segment won't load our script.
- Additionally, a call to analytics.identify() is required; otherwise, no user properties will be passed to Appcues from Segment. Without the user identification, Appcues does not know to attempt to show content.
If you have questions or feedback on our Segment integration, please reach out to us at email@example.com.