User Targeting (Settings) Overview
Curating and targeting your flows to the right users at the right place and time will take make your flows significantly more impactful on your end user behavior. If you'd prefer to see the below information in video form, check out our user targeting webinar!
For example, many platforms offer a free trial with the expectation that successful trialers and good-fit users will upgrade to a paid account. Displaying an "Upgrade Now" modal every time any user logged might prove ineffective and invasive, but an "Upgrade Now" modal targeted to week-old users who have interacted with your platform (maybe by inviting a colleague or adding a contacts list), can drive that action with your now-experienced users.
Every flow has its own Flow Settings page that will allow you to define where you want your flow to display, the audience who will see it, and what happens upon the flow's completion.
This section dictates where your flow will appear when Published live. Let's go through each of the settings below and explore the available options
URL - ("Which page should we show this flow on?")
This option will display your flow at any URL within your platform (where Appcues is installed)
At a specific path
Choose this to display your flow at one or multiple specific URLs.
- You can learn more about URL targeting here
Domain - ("On which environments?")
Everywhere my Appcues embed script is installed
Any domains where my Appcues embed script is installed': will show flows on any domains you've installed Appcues -- many will install Appcues on multiple domains (ex. beta, staging, and production environments), and selecting this option will show flows across all these domains
Only the domains I choose
Allows you to specify which domain(s) you would like your flow to appear on. If the domain you've installed in isn't present you can modify that by following the steps outlined here. Learn more about domain targeting here
Frequency - ("And how often?")
This option will show your flow one time to those who meet your 'Audience' and page targeting. The flow will not relaunch to the same person, even if the flow has been unpublished, edited, and republished again.
ProTip: If you'd like to republish this flow to 'show once' for all users (including the ones that have seen your older or last-published version of this flow), you can clone it from the dashboard. The cloned flow will look identical to the original but will not have any of the user history.
The only instances where 'Show one' flows may reappear are when:
- It is a tooltip or hotspot flow that has multiple steps: if a someone does not complete all steps or skip the flow, the remaining (unseen) tooltips/hotspots will launch the next time they visit your targeted URL
- The flow is targeting anonymous users: anonymous users cannot be differentiated, so if the same person views your site in a new anonymous session, we cannot identify them as already having seen your flow
- If the flow is being viewed via permalink: these links override any targeting settings and will launch a specific flow each and every time they are clicked
Show Every Time
This will launch your flow every time someone meets the criteria to view the flow (determined by your other display or audience settings)
- We recommend using this option while testing your flows on the 'Show only to my team' setting (see 'Audience' section below).
Choosing this will ensure that your flow only shows when its triggered by click, but not when someone reaches the URL and meets the 'Audience' targeting. Here of some examples of when this can come in handy:
- When you'd like a flow to only launch from the widget. Learn more about our widget here.
- When building a Choose Your Own Adventure style flow
- When launching a flow via Permalink
The audience section refers to the users that will see your flow. Targeting options you have here are:
"Who should see this content?"
- All users: will show this flow to any users in your platform
- Users in a segment (Recommended): allows you to target a saved segment by using general properties like "Device Type" or more specifically a combination of "Plan Type," "Created at Date," "User Role" -- it all depends on what properties you send in! Learn more about choosing a specific flow audience here. In the above example, we used properties of "IsInvitedUser" and "IsTrialUser" to create an "Invited Users - Trialers" segment.
- Specific users: Similar to segments, this allows you to narrow your audience down by general properties like "Device Type" or more specific a combination of "Plan Type," "Created at Date," "User Role" at a flow level. We strongly encourage you to use saved segments as a best practice.
- Show only to my team (useful for testing): will show your flows to you or your colleagues that are in your Appcues account
- You'll need to be logged in to Appcues to use this targeting since we use the Appcues ID auto-user property as the. so anyone on your team who is logged in to both Appcues and your platform will be able to view these flows
Note: We recently replaced 'Just Me' with 'Show only to my team'. The functionality is the same, but we renamed the option in an effort to be more clear.
- Split my users into two groups will divide your entire user base into groups 1 and 2. Learn more about our built-in A/B testing here
Recall (in-app widget targeting) *Beta*
- Show this flow in our in-app widget: will display your flow for users to relaunch: this is a beta feature that must be enabled in your account to appear. If you're interested in getting access to this feature, please reach out to Appcues Support and we will gladly enable for you.
- You can learn more about using and installing our in-app widget here
The goals section refers to how you can measure the success of your flows based on what users accomplished after seeing it.
"Choose how to measure your success"
- No Goal: will only track views and completion of a flow.
- Choose an existing goal: saved goals will appear in a drop-down list in your flow settings.
- Define a new goal: create a new goal to measure. When a goal is created from this screen, it will automatically be linked to the flow, and the goal results will appear on the flow's analytics page. Learn more about how goals work and how to create them.
"What should we do when this Flow has completed?"
- Redirect to a different page: will redirect your users to a separate URL, either inside or outside of your app
- To redirect to a separate domain, enter the entire URL (starting with http[s]://)
- To redirect within the same environment, enter the address after the domain (ex: if the flow is set to my.appcues.com and you'd like to redirect to the profile page, instead of my.appcues.com/profile, you can enter /profile)
- Trigger Appcues content: will launch a separate Appcues flow. You can use this feature to link multiple flows together.
- Any flows you link must all be published live in order to be seen together
- If the flow you are triggering is set to appear on a different page, you can use Redirect to a different page and Trigger Appcues content together