User Targeting (Settings) Overview
To drive more impact with your flows, make sure the flow is targeted to the right people, in the right place, at the right time. This article will show you how.
Configuring user targeting for your flows starts on the settings page. From there, you can define where you want your flow to display, the audience who will see it, and what happens upon the flow's completion.
This information is also available in video form in the user targeting webinar.
This section dictates where your flow will appear when it's published.
Which page should we show this flow on?
To display your flow at any URL within your platform where Appcues is installed.
At a specific path
If you want to display your flow at one, or multiple specific URLs. You can learn more about URL targeting here.
On which environments?
Everywhere my Appcues embed script is installed
Will show flows on any domains you've installed Appcues. This is helpful for customers who installed Appcues on multiple domains (ex. beta, staging, and production environments). Selecting this option will show flows across all these domains
Only the domains I choose
And how often?
Show the flow one time to those who meet your 'Audience' and page targeting. The flow will not relaunch to the same person, even if the flow has been unpublished, edited, and republished again.
ProTip: If you need to display a "show once" flow again (including those that have already seen it), clone the flow from the dashboard. The cloned flow will look identical, but will not have any of the user history.
The only instances where "show once" flows reappear are when:
- It is a tooltip or hotspot flow that has multiple steps: if a user does not complete all steps, the remaining (unseen) tooltips/hotspots will launch the next time they visit the targeted URL.
- The flow targets anonymous users: anonymous users cannot be differentiated, so if the same person views your site in a new anonymous session, we cannot identify them as already having seen your flow
- If the flow is being viewed via permalink: permalinks override targeting, and will launch a specific flow each time they are clicked.
Show Every Time
This will launch the flow every time someone meets the targeting criteria (determined by your other display or audience settings).
ProTip: Use this option in conjunction with the "Show only to my team" setting (see "Audience" section below) to create a testing environment for a flow.
The flow will only show when it is triggered manually, and not when someone reaches a URL and meets the 'Audience' targeting. Some examples of where this can come in handy:
- When you'd like a flow to only launch from the widget.
- When building a choose your own adventure style flow.
- When launching a flow via permalink.
The audience section defines who will see your flow.
Who should see this content?
- All users: show this flow to all users in your platform.
- Users in a segment (recommended): specifically target one of the segments in your account. We recommend segments because they allow you to create a more focused message, and you're able to get a sense of what messages are being sent to what segments.
- Specific users: Narrow your audience down by properties like "Device Type" or "Plan Type". This can work in some instances, but segments are still preferred, because they are repeatable.
- Show only to my team: show your flows to teammates in your Appcues account (useful for testing). This targeting uses the Appcues ID user property, so it's necessary to be logged in to Appcues to be targeted.
Recall (in-app widget targeting) *Beta*
- Show this flow in the in-app widget: Makes it possible for users to relaunch your flow. This is a beta feature that must be enabled in your account to appear. If you're interested in getting access to this feature, please reach out to Appcues Support. Learn more about the in-app widget here.
The goals section is where you can measure the success of your flows, based on what users accomplished after seeing it.
Choose how to measure your success
- No Goal: will only track views and completion of a flow.
- Choose an existing goal: saved goals will appear in a drop-down list in your flow settings.
- Define a new goal: create a new goal to measure. When a goal is created from this screen, it will automatically be linked to the flow, and the goal results will appear on the flow's analytics page. Learn more about how goals work and how to create them.
What should we do when this Flow has completed?
- Redirect to a different page: will redirect your users to a separate URL, either inside or outside of your app
- To redirect to a separate domain, enter the entire URL (starting with http[s]://)
- To redirect within the same environment, enter the address after the domain (ex: if the flow is set to my.appcues.com and you'd like to redirect to the profile page, instead of my.appcues.com/profile, you can enter /profile)
- Trigger Appcues content: will launch a separate Appcues flow. You can use this feature to link multiple flows together.
- Any flows you link must all be published live in order to be seen together
- If the flow you are triggering is set to appear on a different page, you can use Redirect to a different page and Trigger Appcues content together