The checklist diagnostics tool allows you to do two things:
- Check whether or not certain users are eligible for your checklist (i.e. to confirm your targeting is set up correctly)
- If a user is eligible, to see how their checklist appears to them at that moment in time. In other words, you can see an exact snapshot of what items the user has or has not completed so far at that point in time.
This tool, similar to the flow diagnostics tool, is a great way to check in on the set up of your checklist. Keep in mind that the checklist is a connector: It references many different flows, user criteria, segments, and behaviors. You're unlikely to get everything right on the first try, but if something doesn't work, don't worry!
Note: You can visit the checklist testing doc for more information on testing your checklist.
How to Use the Checklist Diagnostics Tool
1. Navigate to the "Diagnostics" page
2. Enter a User ID + any page where you expect your checklist to show up
The content diagnostics page contains flow diagnostics as well as checklist diagnostics. In order to get started, you'll need to enter a user ID. If you don't know a user ID to enter, you can find one by clicking "Details" in the "User Identified" row via the Appcues debugger.
3. See the diagnostics!
Once you enter the user ID and page, you will see the checklists for which the user is eligible and ineligible. For a detailed view, simply click on the checklist row. It will expand to show the criteria Appcues uses to evaluate whether or not a user is eligible or ineligible.
It will also show you the exact state of the checklist for that user at that moment in time -- it's an exact snapshot. This is a great way of checking in on the state of the checklist for different users.
The Appcues checklist is a connector of content -- don't worry if you don't get everything right on the setup on the first time. If you are running into issues with your checklist, follow this order of operations for debugging:
- Double-check your installation. Can you see other Appcues flows? Can you launch the Appcues debugger (by right-clicking the Chrome Extension and choosing 'Debug flows on this page')? Are the correct events & properties being sent by your app?
- Double-check the target segment. Are flows targeted to that segment appearing?
- Double-check your URL and page targeting. You can use the URL testing tool to ensure pages match as expected.
- Double-check each item's completion criteria.
Do you have feedback on testing checklists? Email us firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know - we'd love to hear from you and use your thoughts to build an experience that works perfectly for you and your team!
And as always, if you have any challenges with your checklist that you can't figure out, reach out to us at email@example.com and we'll help sort things out!