Submit Article Requests
Do you have a suggestion for an article you would like to see created?
Feel free to submit this form and add your suggestions to our document board.
- Installation & Developers
- User Experiences
- Account Management
- Best Practices
- System Status
Table of Contents
The Appcues to HubSpot integration is a two-way integration. This means that folks that use HubSpot as their CRM will be able to send HubSpot Contact Record properties to Appcues, and certain Appcues event data into the HubSpot Contact Profile Timeline. During the setup of the integration, you can also choose to do 1-way integration in either direction. The Appcues events that can be sent to the HubSpot Contact Profile Timeline include:
- Completed Flows
- Skipped Flows
- NPS Scores
- NPS Feedback
- Completed Checklists
- Skipped Checklists
- Click-to-track events (Only if you are enabled for Appcues Events Broadcaster)
The initial sync of HubSpot properties will happen 30 minutes after the integration is activated and every 30 minutes thereafter. The Appcues events that are going into HubSpot are sent immediately. Because of the 30 minute cadence, for any time-sensitive / real-time dependent flows, we recommend sending us the relevant user properties through the installation manually (not through HubSpot). If the timing is not critical, pushing the data from HubSpot will work well.
Note that this integration only adds event activity to the HubSpot timeline; it will not cause any updates to the contact properties. This integration is available for all accounts on Growth and Enterprise plans.
Why integrate HubSpot with Appcues?
Integrating HubSpot with Appcues allows you to target marketing campaigns based on how users interact with Appcues flows, and it allows you to set up flows, goals, and segments based on HubSpot Contact Record properties. It can also help your sales team identify how individual contacts interact with flows.
What you'll need
- A HubSpot account with CRM (any paid plan)
- Your HubSpot login information
- To be passing an email address/HubSpot Contact ID to Appcues as part of your installation. This will be used in Step 4 below.
- *NOTE* In order to map HubSpot data to Appcues user profiles, we need the Appcues identifier you are using to be reflected on records in HubSpot. If you have that, then the integration will create property on the Appcues user profile for the HubSpot properties the customer chooses to sync to Appcues. These attributes are then stored in Appcues and updated from HubSpot as changes are made in HubSpot.
- *NOTE* You may be wondering if you need to make the HS UUID the identifier in Appcues for this to work?
- To sync data from HubSpot to Appcues, you need a field on the HubSpot contact that is set to that Contact’s Appcues Identifier (if they happen to be using email as their Appcues ID, this is pretty easy). To sync from Appcues to HubSpot, you need to have a field on the Appcues User Profile that is set to either the HubSpot VID or the email of the associated HubSpot contact. Essentially, each system need to know the primary key of the other in order to move data.
- *NOTE* For customers concerned about passing PII (email) into Appcues, the Appcues -> HubSpot direction requires either email address or HubSpot VID to be in Appcues. If you don’t want to send us the email property, you will have to send us the HubSpot VID.
Setting up the Integration
To set up the integration, you first need to select the Two-way HubSpot Integration card on our integrations page:
Once you click the integration card you'll be presented with a 7-step flow to complete the integration.
Step 1 - Will ask you to authenticate your HubSpot account.
Step 2 - Will ask you what direction you want the data to flow. Either bi-directional, or 1-way in a specific direction.
Step 3 - Will ask you which property on the contact in HubSpot will be used to associate with the profile within Appcues.
NOTE: This NEEDS to be whatever value is being used in the Appcues 'identify' call
Step 4 - Will ask you which property in Appcues can be used to associate with the profile within HubSpot.
NOTE: This MUST BE either HubSpot VID or email
Step 5 - Will ask you which properties on the HubSpot contact you want to send to Appcues for targeting and segmenting.
NOTE: It is highly recommended that the user manually enter new property fields on the Appcues side for this step.
Step 6 - Will ask you what types of events you would like to send to Hubspot.
Step 7 - Will ask if you want Appcues Click-to-track events to be included in the sync.
NOTE: Click-to-track events will only sync to HubSpot if you are signed up for Appcues Events Broadcaster
Step 8 - Will ask you what the best email address is to reach you for future updates about the integration.
NOTE: This should be the email address you use for your Appcues account
Once you click Finish on step 7, the setup wizard will close, and data will begin passing between the two systems.
Need to make an adjustment?
Once the integration is enabled, you can click the card at any time and select Modify to adjust any of your current settings, or click Remove to disable the integration.
How to see what is being sent from HubSpot to Appcues
If you want to confirm that your data is flowing from HubSpot to Appcues you can review the properties being sent by going to Settings -> Events and Properties -> Custom properties. Once there, you can find your HubSpot properties in the list, and see real examples of data being passed to Appcues by clicking the Chevron to expand the property.
How to use this integration
You can trigger email users who interact with Appcues in certain ways. For example, if you know that people who skip out on your onboarding flow are less likely to purchase your product, you might send those users an email to personally onboard them with a 1:1 demo.
You can see how your HubSpot contacts interact with Appcues flows on an individual basis by viewing their contact page in HubSpot.
If for example, you notice that prospects are viewing the same flows multiple times, you may want to reach out for personalized help or rethink how the information is presented in the flow.
*by default integration events may be filtered out of the customer feed. If Appcues events are not shown the filters may need to be adjusted. https://knowledge.hubspot.com/crm-setup/customize-activities-on-a-contact-company-deal-ticket-record-timeline